Annual Events in Alte
An event not to be missed is the Alte Carnival! It takes place on the Sunday and Tuesday of Carnaval. Alte Carnaval is considered the most traditional in the Algarve.
Alte Mountain biking event starts the Cultural Week celebrations on 25th April and is fun for all the family as there is lots of entertainment laid on too.
Easter festival at Monte Ruivo
From Good Friday to Easter Sunday there are lots of activities organised from Mountain bike rides to traditional games and dances.
Easter Sunday Celebrations at Fonte Grande in Alte
It starts in the afternoon, next to Alte Parish Hall, with the local Folklore Group distributing the traditional Folar cake and a drink of aguardente of medronho to everyone, followed by a ball at Fonte Grande.
Alte Cultural Week - 25th April to 1st May.
Starting with the Mountain bike ride, which attracts riders from far and wide, the week includes a wide range of activities, from exhibitions, promotion of local gastronomy and crafts, musical entertainment, theatre, children's entertainment and sport. The event ends of 1st May with a Folklore Festival and Traditional Wedding at Fonte Grande.
Folklore Festival and Traditional Wedding Ceremony - 2nd Saturday in August
The festival starts late in the afternoon with the Bridal Party, accompanied by a parade of folk groups (both local and foreign) to Fonte Grande where a toast to the "happy couple" and traditional wedding feast takes place.
Halloween - 31st October
It is a tradition in Alte to celebrate halloween with a programme full of fun!
Alte Annual Fair
Alte's annual fair takes place on September 17th
Back to Top
Algarve Bank Holidays 2019
- Municipal holiday - Ascension day: May 30th
- New Year's Day: January 1st
- Carnival ("Carnaval" - Mardi Gras; Shrove Tuesday): March 5th
- Good Friday: April 19th
- Easter Sunday: April 21st
- Liberation Day (celebrating the 1974 revolution): April 25th
- Labour Day: May 1st
- Portugal Day: June 10th
- Corpus Christie: June 20th
- Assumption of Mary: August 15th
- Republic Day: October 5th
- All Saints' Day: November 1st
- Restoration of Independence Day: December 1st
- Immaculate Conception Day: December 8th
- Christmas Day: December 25th
Back to Top
Markets in and around Alte
- Alte market: 3rd Thursday of each month in Largo José Cavaco Vieira
- Ameixial market: 1st Thursday of each month on the E.N.2
- Azinhal market: last Saturday of the month next to the Primary School
- Benafim market: 1st Saturday of the month in Rua 25 de Abril
- Cortelha market: 2nd Saturday of the month
- Paderne market: 1st Saturday of the month near Rua Miguel Bombarda
- Boliqueime market : last Thursday of the month in the Church square
- Algoz market: 2nd Monday of the month in Largo da Várzea
- São Bartolomeu de Messines market: 4th Monday of the month in the market square.
- Tunes market: 4th Saturday of the month in Rua 1.º de Maio
- Loulé market: every Saturday at the end of R. da Nossa Senhora da Piedade in front of Convento de St. António, on the city exit for Boliqueime/Albufeira
Back to Top